Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Just hanging out...

Juliet has just been hanging out the past few days. No major changes. It's a good thing when I don't have too much to write about!

She's been a little more alert the last few days. Last night, I lifted up her isolette cover to find her WIDE-EYED and staring right at me. She was just lying there awake, in the dark, thinking about who-knows-what! :)

My FAVORITE part of the day yesterday, was GETTING TO HOLD HER! Her nurse let me hold her for an hour! It was so fantastic. I sang quietly to her. I told her stories about her sisters and her dad. I told her how many people are cheering for her and waiting for her to come home. She would open her eyes and look at me every so often, but for the most part, she just snuggled in to my arm with a look of content on her face. That was definitely the highlight of the last month.

I will say "holding her" isn't quite like holding a typical newborn. She had ELEVEN different lines or tubes attached to her. She was covered with several blankets - only her little face was peeking out. We both had to sit under a heat lamp and at one point, the nurse put a blanket over BOTH of our heads in attempt to block some of the bright light from her eyes. It was like we were in our own little tent -- a very hot tent. :) I can't hold her every day yet...but eventually that will happen. I'll be patient. This entire journey will be an exercise in patience.

3 comments:

  1. Hanging out is good! Glad to hear things are quiet and that she is more alert and ready for this world. Keep your chin up. Things will happen in time. You have been her stronghold all along. Wishing you all the best and continued improvement. Believe in the promise of tomorrow....love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessica,
    Just became aware of your situation with precious Juliet. Just wanted to let you know that I will be praying for you and Juliet and your family. I am pregnant with twins and I know how huge the possibility is of premature birth and complications, but I still find it hard to imagine how scary and devastating it is when it happens. I am amazed at the strength that comes through in your blog postings. And for the looks of it, Juliet has inherited that fighting spirit from you!
    Thinking about you.
    -Rebecca Butz Williamson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there!! Do you have a mailing address there? Can you email it to me? LMJ4@gunet.georgetown.edu

    ReplyDelete